Chromebooks have experienced major decline, in recent years. However, Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) is now focused on expanding its internet based laptops. In addition, the manufacturers are also experimenting with introducing variety in their devices. Among the list of models, the Toshiba (TYO:6502) Chromebook 13 is highly anticipated. Toshiba (TYO:6502) was Chromebook’s first ever launch. It had 13 inch screen resolution previously. However, the latest version is slimmer and attractive, and par with the latest designs.
The Chromebook device looks like a standard laptop, and is run on Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL)’s own operating system, known as Chrome OS. The device is aimed at consumers who use internet frequently, to browse the net, check email or other Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) drive services. It is quite cost effective and easily portable, due to its smaller size.
The basic features of Chromebook 2 are listed below:
– 13.3 inch display
– 1366 x 768 resolution at $249
– 1920 x 1080 resolution at $349
– Intel’s entry level line of Celeron processors
– 16 GB storage
– 100 GB cloud storage
In terms of look, the Chromebook 2 offers following features:
– An encased lid and underside, which may not necessarily be the most desired feature, but it keeps the device safe from scratches
– The inside is much more polished, attractive with smooth finishing
The features that need to be considered before making the decision to purchase the device are as follows:
– This device can be used as a substitute for home PC. One can check email, update Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) status and perform other everyday web browsing.
– It boots up very fast
– The screen of the Chromebook is very detailed, hence gives the users a very enjoyable and memorable visual that is ideal for movies, pictures or reading purposes.
– The speakers are a collaboration of Skullcandy and Toshiba (TYO:6502). The end product is not very pleasing, as the sound quality seems more for a smartphone or tablet, rather than laptop.
– It has quite effective batter life, after a one time full charging. If it is being used for work purpose every day, and for long hours, the device could easily give almost 7 hours of battery life.
– Even though the Chromebook 2 can pass for a personal laptop, the keyboard doesn’t give and ideal typing platform for writing long research papers and assignments
– Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) Chromebook caters to 85% of the user’s needs, but it does miss some very specific elements. For example, if a user wants to perform advanced photo editing, the option is not available.
– Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) has tried its best to give users a full PC experience, and they seemed to have succeeded at that, to a certain point.
The device is ideal for students and professionals alike, who prefer not to spend too much on their tech support. Even with several discrepancies and missing features, Chromebook 2 is being looked at, as the best of its kind that has been made available so far.